Monday, September 6, 2010

THE GARDEN EXHIBIT

One early morning in Oberoi Gardens, after completing four rounds of fast walking on the walkway, I sat on a small bench near club house in the midst of greenery bathed in night dews. The breezy cool was invigorating. Up above, stood the vast expanse of cloudless sky. Impact of daybreak was imminent but still away. Closing my eyes, I let go myself with the wave of thoughts. A few entwined thoughts resolved smoothly and some conflicting ones became subservient begetting new ideas more clear, positive and purposive. A divine grace seemed enveloping.

Suddenly, a thud sound woke me up. My eyes turned leftward. What a pleasant surprise! There laid a colourful display of books and magazines. An elderly gentleman was picking up the bundle that fell as a thud. I reached there to meet his smiling welcome. Books being my weakness, it seemed a windfall. I was thinking of locating a bookshop or a library in the vicinity since I came here. He introduced himself as a resident of C-wing while I resided in A-wing. Glancing over covers and contents of some titles, all socio-religious, I felt being late returning to my flat.

‘How long this will continue?’ I queried.

‘As long as you are here. It is for you.’ was his ready answer.

When I expressed that I had to go due to other needs, he affectionately pressured me take the books I wish. Hesitantly, I accepted one (which I purchased subsequently) and took leave of him. He also started winding up.

A few steps away, a group of aged elders, after completing its yoga exercise, now dispersed. Some left while others dipped in gossiping. Quite a good number of male as well as female residents were now moving, coming and going. However, the display attracted none.

This exhibition approach may probably be a customer orientation one. What intrigues me painfully time and again is: Have books really become a sight to despise?

2 comments:

  1. reading the blog i felt being with you in the oberoi garden which i visited when i was in mumbai last time.
    i like books a lot but usually give a wide berth to the section entitled socio-religious.

    prem

    ReplyDelete
  2. bhaiya what is your e-mail. you can e mail it to me at prem22kumar@gmail.com

    prem

    ReplyDelete