Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lesson in a trivial incident

Yesterday became a day I cannot forget, but, for a wrong reason. I was unable to get my spectacles. Despite my search of the whole house, the result was cipher. Again I looked in all the nooks and corners in the bedrooms and the hall scanning table tops and drawers. It was a waste of two hours. Finally I went inside the kitchen, the remotest possibility. After a hard look at the platform there, I revealed my worry to my wife. She was very confident it was not there. She reminded:'You have to go to market to bring apples, spinach, ginger and coriander leaves. These I need urgently'. All cupboards and even fridge shelves did not favor my efforts. She advised me to recall each and every event since morning when I put on the specs last. Normally I do not use it while at home, nor put it in its case but at a conspicuous place for use when going out. Now market job is perplexing me. However, it seems there is no escape.

I cautiously came out of the building, crossed the road with care, bought the daily need and returned. Like a child I was learning many lessons that I had forgotten. I was thinking that it is high time I should assess and evaluate the falling capacities of my senses, specially eye sight and audibility.

Finally, to relieve myself from tiredness and to calm my mind, I took a book of poems but alas could not enjoy the beauty of the lyrics. A disturbed mind is unable to get meaning from meaningful words. I was feeling thirsty so I took a glass of water and felt somewhat better. Lying down on sofa and I was looking blank at roof. An idea came, why not rearrange the rooms and put the things in order. After all much of the hotchpotch was my contribution.

After giving an organized look to the drawing room, I came to my bedroom. Books, magazines and old newspapers were there on the window sill. I restored them to their respective places. Three pens, pencil, knife etc and some old spectacles cases were there. As soon as I opened one, I found my glasses therein. What a pleasant surprise and a relief too. I don’t know how this has happened. Credit is to go, possibly, to the maid servant who came for weekly dusting work.

Besides giving me some memorable behavioural teachings, this incident has also provided an unexpected favour. A rare photograph of childhood days untraceable for long surfaced during the search.

1 comment:

  1. a very apt description. it frequently happens to me, not with specs but usually with my car keys. it is a pain in the neck but sometimes the search is rewarded with a bonus of finding a favourite item long thought lost. what a joy!
    prem

    ReplyDelete